Residential Real Estate Investors
Now is still a great time for investors to purchase residential one to four unit property. Property values are relatively low, interest rates are low and conventional financing is available to a point. The problem occurs when you have more than 4 properties financed. Today the answer is blanket mortgage financing. This allows the serious investor an opportunity to have own 10, 15, 20 or more units. When an individual investor decides to have a real estate business a blanket mortgage can help them continue to grow.
This is a commercial loan for businesses that will encumber multiple properties under one loan. For residential investors this allows them to have stable long term financing. This can get them off the hard money roller coaster, especially if they are looking to hold instead of flip properties. Blanket loan financing will not limit how many units they can have financed as does conventional residential financing.
Here are the basic guidelines:
- Minimum loan amount is $500,000
- Minimum number of residential units is 5
- Minimum individual property value is $50,000
- Minimum occupancy is 90%
- Properties must be owned by a company – not individual
- Property types include: single family, 2 to 4 unit, condominiums, town homes, multifamily properties and mixed use properties that are at least 60% residential.
- Up to 75% loan to value
- Minimum Debt coverage of 120%
- Perfect Credit not mandatory
If you are a residential real estate investor with more than 5 units that can use stable long term financing you should consider a blanket loan for purchasing property, refinancing your existing portfolio or getting cash out to help you invest in other properties.